**Originally posted at Joy in These Moments
I was in the mood for stuffed shells the other night.
Actually, I was really roaming around Wal-Mart trying to decide what the heck to make for dinner. Plus, I was hungry – and we all know that’s a bad combo.
I went down the pasta aisle and logically decided that stuffed shells sound great. I figured I’d grab the typical ingredients at Wally World, then get some gluten-free shells at the health food store. But, when I got to the health food store, there were no jumbo shells to be found; so, I grabbed the first box of gluten free lasagna noodles I found. I figured I could make some lasagna roll-ups.
I went home and started prepping for the roll-ups.
Disclaimer: This next part is NOT going to help me look as awesome as the Pioneer Woman. It’s not even going to put me in the running for Pioneer Girl. Pretty sure it’s even going to make me look like a kitchen novice. Just sayin’.
Step 1: Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the lasagna noodles. Follow the directions carefully and don’t over cook. You want the noodles to be al dente – cooked through, but firm.
I rocked the boiling part.
In fact I rocked it a bit too much.
Rice noodles do not like for you to get distracted by watching Elmo with your toddler.
Rice noodles are also not very forgiving if you accidentally buy “oven ready” noodles” and decide to try boiling them as well.
If you do either the the things above your noodles will be all jacked up – like this:
Definitely not my most glamorous Rachael Ray-wannabe moment.
But, when your lasagna noodles go awry, improvise. Pretend those noodles are a giant jigsaw puzzle and make a lasagna that will make your husband think you are the best cook in the world. (Just don’t show him pictures like this or he might laugh. Not that I know from experience or anything.)
Ready to make your own – sans the ridiculous noodle mess?
Gluten-Free Italian Sausage Lasagna
1 box of gluten-free lasagna noodles
16oz gluten-free Italian sausage
15oz ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
12oz pkg mozzarella cheese
1 jar gluten-free tomato sauce (I used a garden vegetable spaghetti sauce)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna in the boiling water for approximately 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Noodles should be soft, but firm to bite.
2) While noodles are boiling, cook the Italian sausage. Set aside for later.
3) In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, ricotta, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
4) When noodles have cooled enough to handle, spread enough tomato sauce to coat the bottom, then begin arranging 1/3 of the noodles on the bottom of the dish.
5) Layer 1/3 mozzarella, meat, and Parmesan/ricotta mixture. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over this layer.
6) Continue repeating the layers until all ingredients are gone.
7) Top with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
8) Cover the lasagna with foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes.