I love chicken pot pie – as evidenced by this being the second “almost a pot pie” recipe on this site!! But, with working a full time job, chasing a toddler, keeping house, and working on my two blogs, I don’t always have the luxury of spending the better part of the day whipping up a double crust, making the filling from scratch, etc.
The other day, I was craving pot pie and I remembered that when I used to nanny, I would make this Homestyle Bake by Banquet for the kids quite often. Super easy, super fast…and full of gluten, preservatives, and other unhealthy stuff.
Enter my own version of Chicken Pot Pie, inspired by the Banquet meal.
Creamy Country Chicken with Biscuits
3 chicken breasts cooked and diced (I used my George Foreman grill and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic)
1 onion, chopped
2Tbsp cornstarch (for thickening)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp stick butter
1 8oz can gluten-free broth
1/2 cup milk
1 10oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
(found on the back of the Bisquick box)
2 1/2 Cups Bisquick
2/3 c milk
1/3 c shortening
1) Saute onion and garlic in melted butter.
2) Whisk in cornstarch to make a rue.
3) Add broth and milk. Mix with rue, break up any clumps.
4) Add vegetables, diced chicken, thyme, salt and pepper.
5) Simmer until vegetables are warmed through.
6) While the chicken filling is simmering, mix up the biscuits according to the directions on the package.
7) Transfer filling to a 9×13 pan. Drop equal amounts of biscuit mix onto the filling. (I had 4 rows of 3 biscuits).
8) Bake at 350 for 20 minutes – or until the tops of the biscuits are golden.
This delicious recipe is linking up with Living Well, Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday